top of page

Sat 12th Jan - Kelso V Marr of Troon - 3pm KO (9-36)

Match Gallery

1st Team Sheet b.jpg

Tennant’s National League Division 1
Kelso 9 Marr 36 half time 9-10
A much changed Kelso team had the advantage of the wind in the first half against the league leaders, Marr. They were still without regulars Angus Roberts, Arran Jackson and Robert Hastie, however. The half was hard fought by both sides with Kelso having some domination on the Marr line but were just unable to get over due to stalwart defence. Leading up to the break, Kelso led 9-3 thanks to 3 penalties by Craig Dods to 1 by his opposite number, Colin Sturgeon. Just on the break the hosts were penalised and Marr chipped the kick into the corner. The line out was won and the forwards drove over for replacement, Fraser Grant, to get the touch down, followed by a Sturgeon conversion to take them 10-9 ahead. For Kelso, this was as good a half as they had played for some time.
The second half, however, was a different story as the Marr forwards got on top and pressurised Kelso into conceding penalties. Their first try of the half actually came from Kelso pressure and an interception by Connor Bickerstaff, the Marr skipper, in his own 22. He ran and kicked but was deemed to have been late tackled. The penalty went into the corner. The line out was driven and Grant scored his second for Sturgeon to collect the extra points from the conversion. Play was becoming fast and loose and Marr were more likely to benefit from this pattern of game. Tony Wichary took one for the team and was yellow carded. From the resulting scrum, No 8, Ross Miller, crashed over for another try and another Sturgeon conversion. The young referee was spending a lot of time chatting to the captains as he requested the players to calm down. Kelso lost replacement Billy Waddell and so uncontested scrums were called in play. 
Second row, Dan Law, scored Marr’s bonus point try after 70 minutes with the additional 2 points coming from Sturgeon and the score stayed 29-9 until almost the end when a bizarre try was awarded to Marr after consultation with the assistant referee. It’s a mystery where the decision came from as even the Marr players seemed resolved to having knocked the ball on as they chased a high bouncing ball.
That try went unconverted for the only missed kick of the game but a win for the visitors by 36-9. Kelso were overpowered in the second half but did not seem to have been that far behind Marr.     
Kelso team: Murray Hastie, Gregor Millar, Gregor Mein , Kevin Wilson ,  Mark Wilson,  Craig Dods, Phil Hume, Michael Downer, Charlie Marshall, Blair Robertson ,Derek Welsh, Angus Common , Fergus Common, Cammy Brown,  Kevin Dryden
Replacements: Billy Waddell, Gareth Walker, Tony Wichary, Robbie Tweedie and Kris Mein
Kelso scorers: Craig Dods 3 penalties

1- Michael John Downer
2- Charlie Marshall
3- Blair Robertson
4- Angus Common
5- Derek Welsh
6- Fergus Common
7- Cammy Brown
8- Kevin Dryden
9- Phil Hume
10- Craig Dods
11- Mark Wilson
12- Gregor Mein
13- Kevin Wilson
14- Gregor Millar
15- Murray Hastie

16- Billy Waddell
17- Kris Mein
18- Tony Wichary
19- Gareth Walker
20- Robbie Tweedie

bottom of page