top of page

Sat 25th Aug 2018 - Kelso 1st XV v St Boswells (36 - 7)

1st Team Sheet.jpg

Kelso 36 – 7 St Boswell’s

 The sun was shining at Poynder Park for the season opener against local rivals St Boswells. With no fewer than 7 ex Kelso players, you just knew that this one was going to be a blood and thunder affair.  
Kelso looked to get off to a flyer in the first few minutes when Craig Dods scampered in for a try but the celebrations were cut short when referee Michael Todd called them back for a knock on. There were challenges flying in all ways and sadly for St Boswell’s their number 12 and ex Kelso player Lewis Wichary was a bit reckless in the tackle and Referee Todd deemed it bad enough to warrant a yellow card. From the resulting penalty Kelso opened the scoring when Dods slotted his penalty between the posts. Kelso were trying to use the extra man to their advantage and Kevin Wilson went over for a try with Dods again on target with the kick. St Boswell's had to get the next score and their forward pack upped the tempo and after a few line outs on the stand side they were unlucky to be held up twice. St Boswell's then had a line out and the back's worked a good move to put Tony Wichary through with one man to beat and he did just that to go under the posts. Martin Chisholm put the kick over and closed the gap to just 3 points. Right on the half time whistle Lewis Wichary was deemed to have lead with his shoulder and no arms in the tackle and referee Todd showed no hesitation in handing him his 2nd yellow card followed by the red and the men from Jenny mores road would need to play the whole of the 2nd half with just 14 men. 

St Boswell's had to score first and for the first five mins they were camped ten yards out trying to go all ways with new signing Declan Wallace nearly scoring with his first run. Kelso held him up and then it was their turn to be held up twice. However they didn’t need to wait long and from a line-out move new prop forward Michael Downer went over the whitewash and Dods added the extras. Kelso were spraying it about now and they scored a good try after breaking from their own half and Blair Robertson scored with Dods adding the extras. Robertson was on hand again when he scored from a line out with Dods again adding the extras. The St Boswell’s lads were starting now started to look tired after putting in a great shift so no one could catch Murray Hastie (who was making his return to the club after spending 2 years up at Murry field wanderers) as he took off down the wing to score in the corner this time Dods missed the extras. Right on full time Dods got a yellow for a no arm tackle but this proved too late for the St Boswell's lads to get a consolation try.

It’s the start of league action next for Kelso when they entertain Musselburgh at Poynder Park next Saturday.

bottom of page